Chief Security Officer – Cyber Security – Conner Strong & Buckelew Camden, NJ
Note: We may earn a commission from products or services when you click on a link and make a purchase.
Department: Information & Technology
Job Summary: The Chief Security Officer will identify security initiatives/standards and oversee/coordinate security efforts across the company with a core focus on cybersecurity. The ideal candidate will use a risk-based approach to plan, direct and coordinate activities relating to the protection, safeguarding and security of company assets, employees, guests and others; ensure that established goals and objectives are accomplished with prescribed priorities, time limitations and with fiscal responsibilities; advise the executive team, make recommendations, assist in the formulation of goals and objectives; design, implement and monitor security policies, procedures and programs; advise on compliance with federal, state and local legal regulations; and exercise independent judgment in the course of carrying out overall responsibilities and other activities as assigned. The ideal candidate must be able to lead and accomplish objectives in a matrixed environment, collaboratively with other CSB executives and their staff.
The Chief Security Officer will identify security initiatives/standards and oversee/coordinate security efforts across the company with a core focus on cybersecurity. The ideal candidate will use a risk-based approach to plan, direct and coordinate activities relating to the protection, safeguarding and security of company assets, employees, guests and others; ensure that established goals and objectives are accomplished with prescribed priorities, time limitations and with fiscal responsibilities; advise the executive team, make recommendations, assist in the formulation of goals and objectives; design, implement and monitor security policies, procedures and programs; advise on compliance with federal, state and local legal regulations; and exercise independent judgment in the course of carrying out overall responsibilities and other activities as assigned. The ideal candidate must be able to lead and accomplish objectives in a matrixed environment, collaboratively with other CSB executives and their staff.
- Manage the development and implementation of global security policies, standards, guidelines and procedures to ensure ongoing maintenance of security.
- Stay abreast of the latest trends in cybersecurity through various means including relationships with local, state and federal law enforcement and other related government agencies, networking with personnel in the security industry, and ongoing self-education on the latest trends and methods by the threat actors.
- Lead operational risk management activities to enhance the value of the company and brand.
- Identify proactive protection goals, objectives and metrics consistent with corporate strategic plan.
- Collaborate with executives to prioritize security initiatives and spending based on appropriate risk management and/or financial methodology.
- Plan, examine, analyze, evaluate and monitor all CSB security operations, especially cyber security assets, and collaborate with facilities security personnel at all CSB offices’.
- Oversee the contracts and performance of security vendors who safeguard the company’s assets, intellectual property and computer systems.
- Actively assess vendor contracts and agreements to verify CSB data security interests are well protected in third party applications and services. Work closely with CSB Counsel to confirm compliance to corporate standards.
- Stay abreast of the security threat landscape to raise awareness internally along with working with matrix teams to confirm that the necessary changes are implemented expeditiously to keep CSB, and their clients where appropriate, stay secure.
- Oversee information protection functions including system/data security architecture, system/data access and monitoring policies, employee education and awareness, and more.
- Oversee incident response planning as well as the investigation of security breaches, and assist with disciplinary and legal matters associated with such breaches as necessary.
- Lead and/or support investigations of security related issues. Prepare and submit security incident reports in compliance with company policy.
- Review financial reports to ensure security operation efficiency and quality control.
- Work with outside consultants as appropriate for independent security audits.
- Prepare periodic budget estimates based on requirements and present need to obtain budgetary approval.
- Develop multiyear roadmap to increase security profile of CSB along with an effective budgetary spend that is reasonable.
- Be a key member of the end user education on cyber threats and lead user awareness initiatives through proper communication channels.
- Report to the executive team on status of security plan, metrics, incidents, remedial actions and regulatory updates.
- Participate in other projects and performs other tasks as assigned.
- Communication Proficiency.
- Decision Making.
- Ethical Conduct.
- Organizational Skills.
- Problem Solving/Analysis.
- Results Driven.
- Stress Management/Composure.
- Strategic Thinking.
- Minimum BS/BA degree in Computer Science or equivalent education or 10 years of diverse work experience within the financial services industry or information technology field.
- Preferred advanced degree or equivalent in an area of study relevant to this position, or 10 years of experience of increasing responsibility within cyber security, and/or law enforcement/intelligence field, including 5 years of experience leading a comparable- sized organization.
- Preferred professional certifications such as CISSP or CISM
- Able to exercise sound judgment and discretion in managing confidential matters.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience working in a business operations role
- Proven ability in making well-informed, effective, and timely decisions, even when data is limited or solutions produce unpleasant consequences; perceives the impact and implications of decisions.
- Skilled at identifying and analyzing problems and risks; weighing relevance and accuracy of information; generating and evaluating alternative solutions; making recommendations.
- Open-minded to change and new information; rapidly adapts to new information, changing conditions, or unexpected obstacles.
- Effective at dealing with pressure while remaining optimistic and persistent, even under adversity. Recovering quickly from setbacks.
- Able to hold self and others accountable for measurable high-quality, timely, and cost effective results. Skilled at determining objectives, setting priorities, and delegating work. Able to accept responsibility for mistakes; Able to comply with established control systems and rules.
- Demonstrable working knowledge of security concepts, frameworks, practices and procedures.
- Proven experience in the investigation of internal and external crime.
Need Security Training? Certifications at Your Own Pace
- IBM Cybersecurity Analyst Professional CertificateIntroduction to Cybersecurity Tools & Cyber Attacks by IBM
- Generative Adversarial Networks (GANs) Specialization from DeepLearning.AI
- Agile Leadership Specialization from the University of Colorado
- International Cyber Conflicts from the State University of New York (SUNY)
- IT Fundamentals for Cybersecurity Specialization by IBM
- Google Cloud Security Professional Certificate from Google Cloud
- Google Cloud Networking Professional Certificate from Google Cloud
- Introduction to Blockchain Specialization from Association of International Certified Professional Accountants
System Experience Required
- Working knowledge of Microsoft environment, VMWare, Cisco switching, routing and firewall.
- Wide ranging knowledge of security infrastructure and tools available in the market
System Experience Preferred
- Broad knowledge of infrastructure, data management and security protocols
Office environment with moderate noise level; Able to work flexible hours and travel to other Conner Strong & Buckelew offices and client work sites as needed.
Conner Strong & Buckelew is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, gender, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, ancestry, nationality, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or domestic partnership or Civil Union status, pregnancy, family medical history or genetic information, atypical cellular or blood trait, military service or any other status protected by law.