Cyber Security Jobs Salary for Five High Paying Careers – Requirements and Salaries for Entry Level, Bachelors Degree, and Masters Degeree CyberSec Employees
Cyber security jobs salaries are higher than the median annual wage for all occupations in the United States according to the US Bureau of Labor Stattistics. Cyber security carreres are projected to grow much faster than the average. Salaries fall between about $60,ooo annually upward to $250,000 or more for executive level positions.
Veteran and soon the be discharged active military can also find high paying cyber security job salaries with government organizations.
How Good Are Cyber Security Jobs Salaries?
In New York, NY the average CISO salary ranges from $149,000 to $367,000 and the average salary is $240,000 annually. Cyber Security job salaries varies depending on the size of the employer and the complexity of the IT network. Salary can also be higher depending on the employer’s sector. For example, the financial sector pays more than education sector employers.
Cyber security professionals are in demand. Cyber Security Salaries are higher in major cities like Washington, DC, New York, and Boston.
What Is the Highest Paying Cyber Security Job?
Jobs with higher education and experience requirements obviously command a higher cyber security jobs salary. The annual compensation paid to an employee is also increased for major urban areas, better paying sectors, and for larger employers.
- Lead Software Security Engineer – $233,333 per year
- Chief Security Officer – $225,000
- Global Information Security Director -$200,000
- Chief Information Security Officer – $192,500
- Director of Security – $178,333
If you do not qualify for one of these jobs because you don’t meet the education requirement, try working on a self-paced online course or earn one or more certificates.
High Paying Cyber Securty Job Skills
- Financial Management by University of Illinois
- Financial Reporting by University of Illinois
- Leading – Human Resource Management and Leadership by Macquarie University
Computer and Information Systems Manager
The median annual wage for Information Security Analysts was $142,530 or $68.53 hourly as of May 2018. Demand for Computer and Information Systems Managers is expected to increase 11% (46,800 more jobs) through 2028 which is a must faster than average growth rate. This cyber security salary with masters degree would increase the employees value and pay.
Computer and Information Systems Managers also go by the titles of Chief information officers (CIOs who oversee the implementation of technology to meet data goals, Chief technology officers (CTOs) who work on technical aspects of a business, and IT directors.
Computer and Information Systems Manager Job Duties
- Analyze corporate IT and data needs
- Recommend upgrades for C-Level executives
- Direct the installation and maintenance of computer systems and access
- Assess the costs and benefits of new IT projects
- Present findings and funding options for IT projects to C-Level executives
- Find ways to upgrade IT systems and save money
- Determine staffing needs
- Plan and direct the work of IT workers including Computer Systems Analysts, Software Developers, Information Security Analysts, and Computer Support Specialists
- Negotiate with vendors
Get Increased Cyber Security Jobs Salary with More CyberSec Skills
- IBM Data Science Professional Certificate by IBM
- Java Programming and Software Engineering Fundamentals Duke University
- Cloud Computing by University of Illinois
- Data Mining by University of Illinois
Network and Computer System Administrator
The median annual wage for Web Developer was $82,050 per year which is $39.45 per hour in May 2018. Demand for Database Administrators is expected to increase 5% through 2028 which an average growth rate for other careers. Most Network and Computer Systems Administrators work full-time.
Systems Administrators manage corporate servers and all attached hardware and apps. They connect and manage permission for desktop and mobile devices. Systems Administrators ensure that email and IT network access works properly.
Administrators may also design and analyze network structure.
Network and Computer System Administrator Duties
- Install network hardware and software
- Upgrades and repair IT networks
- Maintain network and computer system cybersecurity
- Evaluate and optimize IT network performance
- Add users to a network, and assign and update security privileges
- Train staff
- Monitor IT networks for issues and data breaches
- Interpret notifications and network traffic patterns
Most employers require Network and Computer Systems Administrators to have a bachelor’s degree in related to computer or information science. Others may require only a certificate or an associate’s degree.
The median annual wage for Web Developer was $90,070 per year which is $43.31 per hour. Demand for Database Administrators is expected to increase 9% through 2028 which is a faster than average growth rate for other careers. In 2018, there were 116,900 jobs.
Database Administrators Job Description
- Create and administer databases for user needs
- Work with System Administrators and Web Developers to integrate applications
- Secure online and internal data and databases
- Back-up and restore data to defend against cybersecurity attacks and errors
- Ensure that databases operate efficiently
- Create and test modifications to database structure as needed
- Maintain databases and manage permissions
- Merge old databases into new ones
Most Database Administrators require a bachelor’s degree in a programming or other computer related field, but online courses, certificates, and experience is often acceptable.
No Degree? Improve Your Database Administrators Skills
- Applied Data Science with Python by University of Michigan
- Data in Database by Arizona State University
- Excel Skills for Business by Macquarie University
- Monitor IT networks for security breaches and investigate a violation when one occurs
- Protect Install and use software, such as firewalls and data encryption programs, to protect sensitive information
- Document security breaches and data losses
- Stay abreast of the latest IT cybersecurity trends and events
- Oversee deployment of cybersecurity standards and best practices
- Recommend cybersecurity enhancements to management or senior IT staff
- Instruct employees on cybersecurity apps and procedures
- Plan the needs and design of a website
- Create and test website applications
- Write code for the website, using programming languages such as HTML or XML
- Work with graphics and other designers to determine the website’s layout
- Integrate graphics, audio, and video into the website
- Monitor website traffic and site health
Information Security Analyst
As of May 2018., the median annual wage for Information Security Analysts was $98,350. Demand for Information Security Analysts is expected to increase 32% through 2028 which is a must faster than average growth rate.
Information Security Analysts ensure the continued operation of a corporate IT department.
Information Security Analysts Job Responsibilites
Most Information Security Analyst positions require a bachelor’s degree in a computer-related field
SOURCE: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Employment Projections program
The best cyber security salary with Associate’s Degree is a Web Developer Job. Web developers work on surface web and dark web projects.
Web developers build websites for internal departments in an enterprise environment or as a consultant to external clients. Web developers maybe involved in the aesthetics and overall look and feel of the website, but they also work on the functionality. Some websites a web developer works on may only be a simple one-page informational site with contact information. But other websites are much more complicated and may involve an ecommerce component or back end login with information for employees, customers, or for others needing protected login access.
As of May 2018., the median annual wage for Web Developer was $69,430 per year which is $33.38 per hour. Demand for Web Developers is expected to increase 13% through 2028 which is a much faster than average growth rate for other careers.
Web Developer Job Duties
Michelle writes about cyber security, data privacy focusing on social media privacy as well as how to protect your IoT devices. She has worked in internet technology for over 20 years and owns METRONY, LLC. Michelle earned a B.S. in Engineering from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. Michelle published a guide to Cyber Security for Business Travelers