Note: We may earn a commission from products or services when you click on a link and make a purchase.
Get Into the Cyber Security Field With These Online Certificate Courses
Cyber security incidents have increased to new highs over the past year, and recent reports have shown that many vulnerable parties do not know how to incorporate sufficient cyber security measures into their operations. When cost is not a problem, there is a shortage of cybersecurity technicians and specialists.
Whether you are looking to start working in the field or looking to further your career, there are courses available online to get you trained up and certified for cyber security work.
1. IBM IT Fundamentals for Cybersecurity Specialization
IBM’s IT Fundamentals for Cybersecurity Specialization is a comprehensive certification that will prepare those new to cybersecurity to further pursue a career in the field. This specialization includes four courses. The courses are provided by IBM, a leader in the tech industry, and instructed by IBM Security Learning Services.
In this course, you will learn:
- The history of cyber security, paying attention to the field’s evolution
- Different types of malware
- Key cyber security concepts including the CIA Triad, access management, incident response, and common cybersecurity best practices
- To identify key cybersecurity tools including: firewall, anti-virus, cryptography, penetration testing, and digital forensics.
Completion of this course makes you eligible to earn the IT Fundamentals for Cybersecurity IBM digital badge.
2. Google IT Security: Defense against the digital dark arts
If you want to supplement your resume with security specialization, Defense Against the Digital Dark Arts will be a good fit for you. This course is taught by Google Career Certificates to prepare future IT workers to identify and address cybersecurity risks.
You will learn:
- How various encryption algorithms and techniques work as well as their benefits and limitations.
- Various authentication systems and types
- The difference between authentication and authorization
- How to evaluate potential risks and recommend ways to reduce risk
- Best practices for securing a network
- How to help others to grasp security concepts and protect themselves
3. Infosec Python for Cyber Security
Infosec is dedicated to information security instruction, and this 5-course certification is a great fundamental step to take towards a career in cybersecurity. Led by Howard Poston, a “freelance cyber and blockchain researcher, trainer, consultant and software developer,” Infosec’s certification is designed to prepare individuals for a career in cybersecurity.
You will learn:
- To develop custom Python scripts to automate cybersecurity tasks
- Automate common cyberattack and defense activities with Python
- Apply Python to meet objectives through the cybersecurity attack lifecycle
4. IBM Cybersecurity Analyst Professional Certificate
This 8-course certification is more targeted, designed to set individuals up for a career as a cybersecurity analyst professional. It is good for those that are new to the workforce or those looking to switch professions. As is the case with any tech course, you should be comfortable working with computers, be willing to develop new technical skills, and enjoy collaborative problem solving and communicating solutions.
Over 8 courses, you will:
- Develop knowledge of cyber security analyst tools including data protection; endpoint protection; SIEM; and systems and network fundamentals
- Gain skills for incident responses and forensics with real-world cyber security case studies
- Learn about key compliance and threat intelligence topics important in today’s cyber security landscape
- Get hands-on experience to develop skills via industry specific and open source security tools
5. Preparing for Google Cloud Certification: Cloud Security Engineer Professional Certificate
We all rely on “the cloud,” and cyber threat actors know it. Google Cloud is meeting the rise in cyberattacks head-on by preparing individuals to become certified cloud security engineers. This 7-course certification is designed specifically around Google Cloud certification and is the first step on that journey.
In this preparation, you will learn:
- The skills needed to be successful in a cloud security engineer role
- About Cloud Security including managing access, defining organizational structure/ policies, configuring network security, and analyzing logs
- To configure Google VPC networks, subnets, and routers and control administrative access to VPC objects
After receiving this certificate, you will need to further prepare for Google Cloud certification with practice tests, review tips and advice, and otherwise load up on preparation for the exam. Then, you will register for the Google Cloud certification exam.