9 Courses That Will Help You Start a Lucrative Career in Cybersecurity
There are an increasing number of high-paying careers in the cybersecurity sector that do not require a traditional college degree. Forbes magazine estimates that there will be over three million unfilled cybersecurity jobs by 2021! A great entry level position with room for promotions is the Cybersecurity Analyst.
In these courses you’ll learn the fundamentals of cybersecurity and identify the concepts required to recognize and potentially mitigate cyber attacks against enterprise networks and critical IT infrastructure. These cybersecurity specialization courses prepare students for entry level careers in cybersecurity including the cybersecurity analyst career. You learn about secure network computing environments and the basics of encryption.
Learn about deploying VPNs and SSL/SSH encryption. You will also be able to manage and configure a zero-trust environment. Students who complete these courses can analyze firewall logs and mitigate vulnerabilities.
Students receive a seven-day free trial during which they can cancel with no penalty. Courses can be audited to view the course materials for free. Students who complete the course earn a shareable certificate to send to employers.
These courses can help you to acquire the skills to work in the cybersecurity field as a cybersecurity analyst. No previous cybersecurity knowledge is required, but basic computer familiarity is recommended. Courses are 100 percent online.
Learn concepts around cybersecurity tools and processes, system administration, operating system and database vulnerabilities. These course covers types of cyber attacks and basics of IT networking. Gain knowledge about cryptography and digital forensics.
Introduction to Cybersecurity Tools & Cyber Attacks
In this introductory course, learn the history of cybersecurity as well as the types and motives of cyber attacks. This course is intended for anyone who wants to gain a basic understanding of cybersecurity.
Cybersecurity Roles, Processes & Operating System Security
Understand basic cybersecurity around people, processes, and technology. Earn the Cybersecurity Roles, Processes & Operating System Security IBM digital badge.
- Understand the key cybersecurity roles within an organization
- Learn key cybersecurity processes
- Learn about the architecture, file systems, and basic commands for multiple operating systems including Windows, Mac/OS, Linux and Mobile
- Understand the concept of virtualization as it relates to cybersecurity
Cybersecurity Compliance Framework & System Administration
This course teaches a a basic understanding of security frameworks, compliance, endpoint management, encryption or cryptography.
- Understand vulnerabilities within enterprise organizations and operating systems
- Learn the concepts of endpoint security and patch management
- Learn in depth skills around cryptography and encryption
Network Security & Database Vulnerabilities
Gain a basic understanding of network security and database vulnerabilities plus the various cybersecurity breach types associated with databases and organizations.
- Learn the about Local Area Networks, TCP/IP, the OSI Framework and routing basics
- Learn how networking affects security systems within an organization
- Understand IT network components that guard an organization from cybersecurity attacks
- Gain knowledge of about database vulnerabilities
- Understand the tools and knowledge needed to research a database vulnerability for a variety of databases including SQL Injection, Oracle, Mongo and Couch
Palo Alto Networks Academy Cybersecurity Foundation
Learn the fundamentals of cybersecurity and identify the concepts required to recognize and potentially mitigate cyber attacks against enterprise networks and infrastructure.
Palo Alto Networks Cybersecurity Gateway I
Learn general networking fundamentals. This course gives students a basic understanding of the fundamental tenants of computer networking. It covers general concepts involved in maintaining a secure network computing environment.
- Learn to implement basic networking configuration techniques
- Demonstrate knowledge of interconnected technology in daily communication
- Understanding IT networking systems that need protection
- Learn about the physical, logical, and virtual addressing that accommodates various sized networks through the use of subnet mask schemes
- Explain the TCP/IP Model
- Identify the functions of the specific layers including packet encapsulation and lifecycle
Palo Alto Networks Cybersecurity Gateway II
In this course students will gain a full understanding of the fundamental tenants of a secure network computing environment.
- Examine and describe general networking fundamentals
- Implement basic networking configuration techniques
- Examine cybersecurity landscape environments, cyber attack threat vectors, exposure, vulnerabilities, and risk factors
- Explain common uses of cloud, virtualization, storage, backup, and recovery procedures
- Plan, design, implement, troubleshoot, and maintain network infrastructure environments
Palo Alto Networks Cybersecurity Essentials I
This course covers the fundamental tenants of cybersecurity and covers the general cybersecurity concepts to maintain a secure IT network.
- Learn strategies for network defense
- Deploy a variety of IT security methodologies
- Understand technologies and concepts to implement a secure network environment
- Protect infrastructure against cybersecurity threats
- Apply advanced filtering methodologies such as user, application, and content ID to protect against attack vectors
- Describe the basics of cryptography including synchronous/asynchronous encryption, PKI, and TSL certificates
Palo Alto Networks Cybersecurity Essentials II
Complete your understanding of the fundamental tenants of cybersecurity. This course covers general cybersecurity concepts involved in maintaining a secure network computing environment. Learn about cybersecurity challenges, strategies for IT network defense, and next-generation cybersecurity solutions
- Learn to assess and harden endpoints based on security policies
- Understand advanced malware research and analysis
- Provide enhanced protection for enterprise networks
- Examine mobile and cloud-based connection technologies
Michelle writes about cyber security, data privacy focusing on social media privacy as well as how to protect your IoT devices. She has worked in internet technology for over 20 years and owns METRONY, LLC. Michelle earned a B.S. in Engineering from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. Michelle published a guide to Cyber Security for Business Travelers