Director, Cyber Threat Intelligence – Verizon, Basking Ridge, NJ
Note: We may earn a commission from products or services when you click on a link and make a purchase.
When you join Verizon
Verizon is a leading provider of technology, communications, information and entertainment products, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our ambition and united in our shared purpose to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What You’ll Be Doing…
*Open to remote employment, candidate dependent*
The Verizon Corporate Information Security (CIS) organization securely enables the business by protecting assets and information across Verizon networks, infrastructure and applications. CIS integrates cybersecurity governance, policies, technologies and operations across Verizon, and works to incorporate security into the design of technology systems and services.
The Director of Cyber Resilience and Intelligence will be a key leader within the CISO organization facilitating and supporting enterprise security across multiple business units. You will lead a team including Intelligence analysts, Red Team, and Defense Analysts to continuously test and vet the integrity and resilience of Verizon’s cyber posture as well as be the focal organization to collect, analyze, partner, and disseminate tactical and strategic threat intelligence. In order to be successful in this role, the leader must have a keen understanding of the cyber landscape, be highly inquisitive and never stop asking questions or looking for results. The key to success in this role is to have an exceptional background in intelligence and adversarial roles that emulate attackers.
This leader will build and head a world class threat intelligence organization with the intent to provide enterprise wide intelligence as both a part of the CIS team as well as a service provider for other Verizon business units. The selected leader will also have extensive experience in building and leading Red Teams, disruption teams, and continuous defense validation tools & services to have constant vigilance and assurance that Verizon’s defensive measures are working as expected. To round out the organization, the assurance that Blue Teams are appropriately notified and communicated with, all After Action Reviews, Root Cause Analytics, and observational reports will be developed and monitored by this group.
Key Teams/functions Within The Organization
- Drive the vision, strategy, and mission accomplishment of the entire Threat Intelligence team.
- Create, document, and implement formal intelligence collection and production plans.
- Monitor, report, and provide timely alerts regarding any cyber threats with a direct or indirect impact to Verizon, its partners, or clients.
- Deliver expert cyber intelligence services and materials to internal (TMC / SecOps, NCC, VZ Connect, ASIRT, and external audiences.
- Actively engage in liaison activities with the cyber threat community to include industry associations, peer financial institutions, and information sharing communities.
- Evaluate efficacy of existing intelligence sources, effectiveness of the ingestion of indicators and recommend improvements
- Threat Lifecycle risk management
- Leverage threat information to maintain a up-to-date threat taxonomy and register and providing updates to the Information Risk Management teams
- AAR & Post restoral verification
- Game day and crisis simulation (manual and automated)
- Oversee the security event simulation (War Gaming) program and conduct security event tabletop exercises at the enterprise level, including exercises with the Executive Committee and the Board of Directors.
- Continuous, automated validation result monitoring
Red Team And Advanced Penetration Testing
- Lead a team to initiate ethical hacking of applications and networks to provide a real time view of what a malicious person will see in the IT environment.
- Oversee testing, reports and presentations to executive leadership.
- Maintain a program for after action review and post restoral verification
- Disruption capabilities
- Reporting & Metrics
- Produce metrics of risk and performance indicators, such as:
- Security / business Value of threat intelligence
What We’re Looking For…
- 15+ years cyber security experience; preferably in fast-paced, high volume, growth environments with both on premise and cloud infrastructures; with at least six years in a significant leadership role
- 10+ years people management with a proven track record of building, training, and developing a high-performing team; ability to lead and motivate an organization of security professions to achieve tactical and strategic goals, even when only “dotted line” reporting lines exist
- 5+ years’ experience implementing/supporting threat intelligence programs and tools.
- 5+ years’ experience leading Red Teams.
- 5+ years’ experience in tactical support roles requiring rapid response in support of the business.
- Strategic leader and builder of both vision and bridges, and able to energize the appropriate teams in the organization; proven leadership in advanced information systems combined with broad business acumen, which extends beyond the functional responsibilities of the role
- A thorough understanding of industry best practices in information security
- Experience assessing cyber threats and vectors to ensure detection and automated response capabilities are able to rapidly mitigate potential threats.
- Experience working on cross-functional teams including engineering, products teams, legal and security
- Experience performing risk and threat assessments as part of product development
- Experience effectively prioritizing work, juggling competing priorities and meeting deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Bachelor’s degree in Security Engineering, Information Technology or Computer Science or equivalent work experience; Master’s Degree in a technical discipline is preferred
Need Security Training? Certifications at Your Own Pace
- IBM Cybersecurity Analyst Professional CertificateIntroduction to Cybersecurity Tools & Cyber Attacks by IBM
- Generative Adversarial Networks (GANs) Specialization from DeepLearning.AI
- Agile Leadership Specialization from the University of Colorado
- International Cyber Conflicts from the State University of New York (SUNY)
- IT Fundamentals for Cybersecurity Specialization by IBM
- Google Cloud Security Professional Certificate from Google Cloud
- Google Cloud Networking Professional Certificate from Google Cloud
- Introduction to Blockchain Specialization from Association of International Certified Professional Accountants
Equal Employment Opportunity
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer – and celebrate our employees’ differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.