Research Associate – Cyber Security, Psychology (Insider Threat) – UNSW New York, NY
Note: We may earn a commission from products or services when you click on a link and make a purchase.
This Job is based in Australia
UNSW Canberra endeavours to offer staff a rewarding experience and offers many opportunities and attractive benefits, including
UNSW Canberra is a campus of the University of New South Wales located at the Australian Defence Force Academy in Canberra.
- One of Australia’s leading research and teaching universities
- Strong commitment to staff development and learning
- Strong commitment to work life and family balance
- Generous superannuation opportunities
At UNSW, we pride ourselves on being a workplace where the best people come to do their best work.
An exciting opportunity has become available for a Research Associate (Level A) to join the UNSW Institute for Cyber Security (IFCYBER). The UNSW Institute for Cyber Security (IFCYBER) was launched in 2021 and spans both the Canberra and Sydney campuses with its hub at UNSW Canberra. We are a growing team of over 100 members carrying out cutting-edge multidisciplinary research in cyber security. This position would be based at the Canberra Campus
READ Highest Paying Cyber Security Jobs
The Research Associate will be working on a novel project, led by Professor Whitty, on insider threat. The project will develop a suite of countermeasures, for Defence, that will effectively build resilience to internal cyber disruption – with a focus on both malicious and accidental insiders. The successful applicant will collect case studies of insider threats, conduct a statistical analysis on the pathways to the attacks, run experimental simulation studies and conduct interviews to learn the potential impact of implementing potential interventions identified in this research.
Under the supervision of the Director of the UNSW Institute for Cyber Security, the Research Associate will also be expected to produce high-quality publications in high-impact journals and other appropriate publications. They will also provide admin support to the Institute. They may also be given the opportunity to write grant proposals and teach on our professional education programme. In addition, they will be part of our cyber security community.
The role of Research Associate reports to the Director of the UNSW Institute for Cyber Security (IFCYBER) and has no other direct reports.
About The Role
- Role: Research Associate Cyber Security, Psychology (insider threat)
- Salary: Academic Level A $98,342 – $105, 185 plus 17% Superannuation
- Term: Full-time, Fixed-term Appointment until 14 December 2022
- There may be opportunity for the initial contract to be extended until June 2024, contingent on funding extension
About The Successful Applicants
To be successful in this role you will have an appropriate PhD in psychology or a related discipline and the following skills and experience:
- Demonstrated strong performance in research in the area of cyber security.
- Demonstrated ability to undertake high-quality academic research and conduct independent research.
- Demonstrated ability to publish high-quality academic publications.
- Demonstrated ability in conducting statistical analyses (e.g. path analyses, multiple regression) as well as qualitative research (e.g. interviewing)
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team, collaborate across disciplines and build effective relationships.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills appropriate for interacting effectively with team members, collaborators and colleagues across the Faculty.
- A demonstrated ability to complete tasks within agreed time frames, with suitable supervision.
- An understanding of and commitment to UNSW’s aims, objectives and values in action, together with relevant policies and guidelines.Knowledge of health and safety responsibilities and commitment to attending relevant health and safety training.
- To be successful you will hold Australian Working Rights or Australian Citizenship
Our Most Popular Cyber Security Training Courses
- Google Cloud Security
- Google Cloud Networking
- Introduction to Cybersecurity Tools & Cyber Attacks
- Linux Security
- Cyber Security 10 Domains
- IBM Fundamentals
- AWS Cloud Native
In your application you should systematically address the Skills and Experience outlined in the Position Description.
In order to view the Position Description – please ensure that you allow pop-ups for Jobs@UNSW Portal.
The successful candidate will be required to undertake pre-employment checks prior to commencement in this role. The checks that will be undertaken are listed in the Position Description. You will not be required to provide any further documentation or information regarding the checks until directly requested by UNSW.
The position is located in Canberra, ACT. The successful candidate will be required to work from the UNSW Canberra campus. To be successful you will hold Australian Working Rights or Australian Citizenship. Visa sponsorship is not available for this appointment.
For further information about UNSW Canberra, please visit our website: UNSW Canberra
Professor Monica Whitty
Director of UNSW Institute for Cyber Security
Professor of Human Factors in Cyber Security
Applications Close: Sunday the 17th October 2021, 11:30 PM
Find out more about working at UNSW Canberra
At UNSW Canberra, we celebrate diversity and understand the benefits that inclusion brings to the university. We aim to ensure that our culture, policies, and processes are truly inclusive. We are committed to developing and maintaining a workplace where everyone is valued and respected for who they are and supported in achieving their professional goals. We welcome applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, Women at all levels, Culturally and Linguistically Diverse People, People with Disability, LGBTIQ+ People, people with family and caring responsibilities and people at all stages of their careers. We encourage everyone who meets the selection criteria and shares our commitment to inclusion to apply.