How Can Someone See the Websites I Visited? – Delete Browsing and Download history
Recently visited websites are easily seen by opening a web browser and looking at the web browsing or search history. If you’re trying to cover your tracks and remove evidence of what you’ve been looking at online, then you must make sure you’re very thorough with deleting data. You’ll need to purge your computer or phone history of all your internet activities.
An easy to find record of recently visited sites is contained in your web browser’s search history. It’s also tracked by your router and your internet service provider or ISP. Depending on the type of security you have set up on your router, someone may be able to see what websites you visited and possibly the information transmitted. Where to find visited websites, internet search history, and downloaded files from recently visited sites differs slightly depending on which web browser was used.
How to See Visited Sites – Firefox
- Open Firefox web browser
- In the upper right corner of the browser window, tap the third icon from the left which looks like book bindings
- A drop-down menu opens
- To see your search history, select the menu option labeled history. There you’ll see all your history used on Firefox. Your history will be listed there whether you were logged into a Firefox account or not/li>
- Select show all history to see all visited sites
- From this screen you can delete individual entries on the screen
- To delete en masse or remove your entire web history, select the organize tab at the top of the screen
- Select which sites to delete
Up To 75% Off Leatherman Gear!
How to Delete Your Download History
Now that you’ve deleted the sites that you visited recently, you also have to check and see if you’ve downloaded any images or videos from those websites. Even though your web history is deleted, someone can still tell that you visited a site if there’s something in your computer’s downloads folder, or your phone files.
View or Delete Downloads History – Firefox
- Tap the third icon from the left, the bookends
- From the bottom of the drop-down menu, select downloads
- Choose to show all downloads to open another screen that shows every file in the Firefox download history
- Although this listing may be about files, images, and videos that were downloaded it gives someone who wants to see your web usage, clues about the sites that you visited and idea of where you got these files from
- To erase the history of your downloaded files, click on any file and choose clear downloads to remove it from the list
Your download history gives other people an idea of what websites you visited and what you been looking at and downloaded.This might be especially revealing if you visited porn sites recently or sites that are banned in your region for example many countries ban religious content people who want to see band content frequently use a VPN
Securely store admin passwords Ensure internal control, compliance
How to Delete Search History – Google Chrome
If you need to view or delete your web browsing history and downloaded file history, you must look at all web browsers that you used. Many devices have more than one web browser, like Chrome, Firefox, or Safari installed on them. You’ll have to delete the recently visited sites out of each browser separately.
To see or delete your search history on Google Chrome open the web browser on your laptop or phone. Remember, if you sync your Google account across multiple devices deleting history will remove the history from all devices logged into that same account.
View and Delete History – Chrome Browser
- Open Chrome web browser
- Tap the three dots in the upper right corner of Chrome
- Select history
- From the list of recently visited sites, either select recently closed or history. An alternative way to get to this tab is by pressing the control+H keys together. This will open all your recent history
- To delete your entire history at once, select settings on the left-hand menu
- Choose clear history. Google will prompt you to choose a date range to delete. Choose to delete web history from the last hour, the last day, the last seven days, the last month, or all history. You’ll also be able to choose what type of information is deleted including browsing history, downloads, cookies, cached images, passwords, as well as autofill data
If you have any devices synched with your Google account, you’ll be able to see history from those devices as well. Select the devices menu item on the left side of the screen to see them.
How to Delete Download History – Chrome Web Browser
- Open Chrome web browser
- Tap the three dots in the upper right corner of the browser window
- Select downloads to see all the downloaded files
- To delete a file, click the X on the right-hand side. To delete an entire day of browsing history select delete next to the date
- Delete and empty the recycle bin. You can also remove all downloads from Chrome web browser by selecting clear all in the upper right corner of the screen
- Next, select open downloads folder. Remove all the files from your device and empty the trash
Note: Deleting your downloads history only clears the download history from a web browser. To actually remove the file from your computer, you’ll have to locate the files on your device and delete them. Files are likely located in the downloads folder on a laptop or in a media file folder on a phone.