SOC Analyst, Cyber Security Response Operations – Join the NBCUniversal Cyber Security team at NBCUniversal – New York, NY
Business Segment: Operations & Technology
NBCUniversal is one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies in the development,production, and marketing of entertainment, news, and information to a global audience. NBCUniversal
owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, and world-renowned theme parks. NBCUniversal’ s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. This opportunity is to join the NBCUniversal Cyber Security team and make an impact defending corporate networks from advanced and targeted attacks. This position supports the Cyber Response Operations Center (ROC) with focus on Cyber Defense Operations.
Essential Functions (Responsibilities):
The SOC Analyst, Cyber Security Response Operations will be responsible for day-to-day operations and maintenance of various security services provided to the business. The L2 SOC Analyst, Cyber Security Response Operations needs to be well organized, reliable, a strong communicator, detail oriented, demonstrate good judgment, be confident working in a team or independently, and comfortable in the handling of confidential information. The role involves regular interaction with various groups and leadership within the organization in order to accomplish job responsibilities.
Working under the direction of the Manager, Cyber Response Operations Center, the successful candidate will be responsible for participating in the following activities:
- Day-to-day operational tasks related to the ongoing support of Cyber Operations.
- Responsible for documenting the incident life cycle, conducting handoffs’s, escalation, and
providing support during cyber incidents
- Responsible for the tracking and assignment of tickets/events to Cyber Security Team.
- Responsible for analyzing potential threats from multiple sources.
- Responsible for creating filters, reports, dashboards, and alerts in support of Cyber Operations.
- Responsible for initiating blocks for all indicators of compromise gathered in analysis.
- Analyst must keep detailed reports on all analysis activity.
- Responsible for creating and updating existing playbooks and runbooks.
What Are Some Useful Computer Science and Data Science Skills?
- IBM Data Science Professional Certificate by IBM
- Java Programming and Software Engineering Fundamentals Duke University
- Mathematics for Machine Learningby Imperial College London
- Cloud Computing by University of Illinois
- Data Mining by University of Illinois
- Applied Data Science with Python by University of Michigan
- Data in Database by Arizona State University
- Excel Skills for Business by Macquarie University
- Financial Management by University of Illinois
- Financial Reporting by University of Illinois
- Leading – Human Resource Management and Leadership by Macquarie University
The Cyber Response Operations Analyst, must be proficient in a wide range of technologies, be knowledgeable as to industry “best practices” in day-to-day operation of a large, multinational IT organization and be able to capably communicate even subtle details of the above to Incident Response & Security Team.
Technology & Engineering
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
- 5 years of experience in computer security, network security, or information security operations.
- Broad knowledge of information systems and networking technologies, demonstrating an understanding related to the functionality of, secure configuration of, and security logs produced by
those information systems
- Knowledge, skills, and abilities to conduct cyber-related or cyber-facilitated activities
- Strong interpersonal, analytical, organizational, written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience in analyzing events, and incidents related to computer security.
- Degree in Computer Science, or equivalent experience
- Security Operations Center experience
- Customer service experience, working with users over the phone, via email, and in person
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently
- Splunk or other SIEM experience – creating alerts, reports, dashboards, etc.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.